Wednesday, March 25, 2015

George Topper-my 4x Great Grandfather that lived right up the road!

Never would I have thought I was "Close to Home" in Maryland. I was raised in Indiana, my grandparents and great grandparents lived there.

I wrote about Michael Easterday who lived in Boonsboro, MD. I even went up to the historical society in Hagerstown, MD to do a little research.

George Topper is my 4x Great Grandfather that lived right up the road!

George was born in 1790 in Frederick, MD but possibly Adam County, PA (they are right next to each other). He was the son of American Patriot, Captain Andrew Topper.


George married Sabina Adam on April 16, 1813 in Goshenhoppen (St. Paul's Mission, Church of the Blessed Sacrament in Berks County Pennsylvania. (www.berks.pa-roots.com)

They lived in Taneytown, MD moving to Bedford County, PA and settling in Ashland County, Ohio.


George and Sabina had at least 7 children:
Peter Andrew
Mary Magdalina
Simon Topper
(son) Topper
William Henry Topper
Catharine Sabina Topper

Somewhere around 1854, George married Mary Ann Hoover, she was 34 years his junior. I am not sure what happened to Sabina.

Now I am not entirely sure, but Abigail Aquilla could be the daughter of Sabina or Mary Ann...I am leaning more towards Mary Ann.

Mary Ann went on to have at least 3 (maybe 4) more children with George:
Abigail Aquilla-this is my 3x great grandmother on my Dad's side
George L
Unknown
Isadora

George died in 1858, while Mary Ann was pregnant with Isadora. He is buried in Ashland County, Ohio:
George Topper's grave, in the valley of the Wilson run, is the grave by the roadside of which a lady in Wooster recently wrote L.C. Mengert to inquire about the descendants of the man buried there. Topper selected that spot for his burial place. Some years after the interment, a road was located there, and the grave seems to be strangely out of place in such close proximity to a public road. 

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ohrichla/Hist-Butler1903.htm

Now I do have the guardianship and probate records from when George died. Abigail and her brother George were sent to live with Mary Ann's father, John Gilbert Hoover and her brother Lucas Gilbert Lafayette Hoover. More information to follow!

Mary Ann went on to marry Erestus Zimmerman and took Isadora with her but died shortly after that in 1861. 




No comments:

Post a Comment