Friday, March 20, 2015

Remembering Grandma Shirley

"Yeeellow!"

That is how I remember Grandma Shirley answering the phone.

(scan of an old slide)
I loved going to Grandma Shirley's farmhouse. We got to play in the chicken coops and the corn bin. We could play in the barn all day and if it was time, we got to ride in the combine!

Grandma Shirley was a cook. She cooked Sunday dinners and everyone came...6 kids and their spouses and children....there was a lot!

Shout out to Olan Mills!
Candy! She made candy! She made candy and then more candy! Buckeyes, Fannie Mae's, divinity, molded chocolate, peanut butter cups, candy bars, coconut nests with jelly bean eggs, chocolate covered cherries....you get the idea.
At holidays, the spare bedroom was a candy room! She made it to enjoy and then take it home with us! How I miss that candy.
Two cakes! Lucky.
Grandma Shirley made all of our birthday cakes. She made wedding cakes, baby shower cakes and then she made more cakes! I remember the room of cake pans! So many to choose from when your birthday came around.

 I remember going to the state fair every year (free yardsticks!) and playing on the front porch with her copper music boxes. Foxy the dog and making ice cream with her in an ice cream maker that you had to crank! Playing "Oh Hell" around the kitchen table and fishing with her and getting my first ticket for not having a license to fish!


But the best think about Grandma Shirley was that she loved you unconditionally.

I miss her so much.

Love you Grandma Shirley!

I am catching up on my 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks, the theme I am on now is Love. How could I not write about Grandma Shirley when the theme is Love?!

No comments:

Post a Comment